Skip to main content

Ethics & Privacy


This week I explored privacy related issues on Facebook. After exploring the default privacy settings on my own Facebook account, I learned that Facebook was showing other users when I was active on my account, Facebook recognition was set to “on” which allowed Facebook to recognize if I was in a photo. I can be tagged in photos or videos without approval and more. These happened to be the default settings on Facebook upon creating an account. What surprised me the most was that Facebook tracks people’s personal traits and interests and list them for advertisers on its website. Not only are they advertising their user’s information, they are also making a profit off of users. This tells me that no one’s privacy or information matters when a profit is involved.

In addition, I learned that the ads that Facebook users see are based on information they’ve provided on their profiles such as, relationship status, employer, job title, and even education. The thing is these settings only affect how Facebook determines whether to show certain ads to you, they don’t change the information that is visible on your profile and who can see it. Because our data is easily attainable, it makes it extremely easy for predators to use it for malicious purposes. Knowing that Facebook isn’t secure, shares user’s information, and has had several scandals, will Facebook users decline? According to Statista, Facebook gained 2.5 billion monthly active users as of the fourth quarter of 2019 and is still the biggest social network worldwide, so it’s probably unlikely that Facebook will lose its users.

However, I am very leery about my continuous use of any social media platform because of its exposure. Of course, we are all capable of controlling what data is shared to a certain extent, but many users don’t know how or aren’t even aware how much information is being shared about them. I was only aware of half the things I learned after reading articles, research, and exploring my Facebook settings. I have now changed all of my settings on Facebook after becoming aware of how my information is used and how susceptible I am to predators. I still don’t feel I can completely trust that the company will respect my privacy. My major concern is can Facebook really be trusted to protect its user’s information. I think Facebook needs to be transparent about how its user’s information is collected and shared upon activating an account.

Another topic I explored was about Facebook quizzes. I read that our identities can be stolen just by taking personality quizzes on Facebook. I can admit that I have engaged in hundreds of these quizzes just for the fun of it. Unknowingly, I could have been giving out answers to security questions that I used to create some of my most important accounts such as, credit and bank accounts. I have been in a few situations where my credit card information was stolen, and someone used my account in another state. Could it have been that I gave my information out just by participating in an activity I thought was harmless. It makes me wonder how protected am I as a Facebook user? Now I’m paranoid and I need to be more knowledgeable about what activities I participate in on social media or limit my activity completely! It is very important that we all gain as much knowledge as possible about all social media platforms to avoids the dangers of it.





Clement, J. (2020, January 30). Facebook users worldwide 2019. Retrieved February 2, 2020, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/264810/number-of-monthly-active-facebook-users-worldwide/

Fowler, G. (2018, June 1). Review | Hands off my data! 15 default privacy settings you should change right now. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/06/01/hands-off-my-data-15-default-privacy-settings-you-should-change-right-now/?noredirect=on

Murray, L. (2018, December 26). Police Are Warning Everyone to Stop Taking Those Facebook Quizzes ASAP. Retrieved February 2, 2020, from https://www.prevention.com/life/a25684246/facebook-quiz-identity-risk/?fbclid=IwAR1tmkdHTbUIiMk2pL4HAeHo091jlunocQTH7qmkiGvTCdSD-JZF5IyPCdk







Comments

  1. It was great to read that after you learned of some concerning things you took action and modified your Facebook settings. Do you think that adults have any responsibility to educate kids about privacy and these topics?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Safe?

During week four I explored  Safety To-Dos for Educators  such as the phishing quiz, have you been Pwned, and I did a Google security checkup. It was very interactive and informative. After doing the phishing quiz I learned that I wasn’t well versed in all the forms that phishing can take, and I scored a 4/8. This means there’s a 50% chance that I would have taken the bait and openly gave cybercriminals access to my information. The quiz allowed me to learn the difference between a generic greeting and forged links. I must admit, you have to pay very close attention to your emails to not become a victim of cyber theft. An accident happened at my job where a phishing email was sent out to CPL (Chicago Public Library) employees and a lot of staff members weren’t aware that they were being phished and many employees had clicked on the link. Since this happened, we now have to update our passwords every few months. CPL also partnered with Security Mentor to provide security

Social Media Literacies

This week I explored Howard Rheingold’s five media literacies. Howard Rheingold defined the five social media literacies necessary to be empowered in digital skills and information literacies. He said the most important fluency is in putting all five of the literacies together. The social media literacies are Attention, Participation, Collaboration, Network Awareness, and Critical Consumption. Many people do not realize that being social on the internet means a person has to have technological skills and literacy in order to effectively socialize through social media. Social media is a delusion and it has made users shallow and more inattentive. The social media literacies will help users to become more mindful and encourage critical thinking. People treat information online as fact, but in reality, it conflicts with objective evidence. I think that social media literacy teaches us how to perceive or recognize the credibility of information. It is important t

Digital Tattoos

During week five I took charge of my privacy settings on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram. We use social media for various reason such as keeping up with friends and family or reconnecting with old friends. Doing so leaves us vulnerable to identity thieves. The best way you can manage your privacy is to properly manage your social media privacy settings.  Privacy is a fundamental right. It enables us to create boundaries and protect ourselves from unwarranted interference in our lives. The social media accounts I have are Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. I only use Instagram to post photos, memes or quotes once in a while and I very seldom use LinkedIn. I have been more involved and interactive on my Facebook page than any other social media platform. Therefore, I have my settings on Facebook extremely strict because I’m so involved in this account.  Privacy is important to me because I don’t want to be completely vulnerable to social media platforms. There